Welcome to Human Dignity and Humiliation Studies (HumanDHS)
We are a global transdisciplinary network and fellowship of concerned academics and practitioners. We wish to stimulate systemic change, globally and locally, to open space for dignity, for mutual respect and esteem to take root and grow, thus ending humiliating practices and breaking cycles of humiliation throughout the world.
We suggest that a frame of cooperation and shared humility is necessary — not a mindset of humiliation — if we wish to build a better world, a world of equal dignity for all.
We do our best to cultivate a relational climate characterized by dignity, walking our talk, and mutual growth. For more than a decade, our relational approach has not only been sustainable, it has offered a new model of collaborative action, a replenishing relational-organizational climate that is constantly evolving and growing with — rather than at the expense of — the people involved.
We are currently around 1,000 personally invited members, with more than 2,000 more people supporting our work, and our website is being accessed by ca. 40,000 people from more than 180 countries per year. A new educational initiative emerging from the network since 2011 is World Dignity University (WDU) to which anyone interested in educating on dignity is invited to contribute with ideas for curriculum development, together with Dignity Press.
If you wish, please see here a short welcome video clip, see the status of 2013 as a collection of pictures and a brief overview, and then enter our website in more depth here, or through the links on the upper left side of this page. See our calendar of events. On 24th June 2011, we launched the World Dignity University Initiative.
When you click on the picture above, you see our 24th Annual Dignity Conference at Columbia University in New York City in December 2014, titled "Workshop on Transforming Humiliation and Violent Conflict"!
A very warm welcome to our 25th Annual Dignity Conference in Kigali, Rwanda, in June 2015!
Please be aware that our work is a labor of love and maintained entirely by volunteers. Since 2001, our work is continuously evolving, including this website, which came into being in 2003. Since 2011, also the websites of the World Dignity University (WDU) initiative and Dignity Press develop.
Two kinds of news are listed here:
1. news from within our network
2. news from other sources that might be of interest for our network members
- Roundtable Breakfast -Transforming Conflict from Within: Learning to Lead with Wisdom (NYC, Aug. 8, 2014)
- New Research: Humiliation and Interpersonal Sensitivity in Depression
- Thursday, June 5 in NYC: Innovative Community-Based Responses to Conflict: The Promise of the Humanness Model
- March 15, NYC: “Singers in the Band”
- Solidarity for Dan Baron’s Cultural Education Project in the Amazon
- Films for Human Rights Educators
- Film: A Path to Dignity – The Power of Human Rights Education
- Bankers and the Neuroscience of Greed
- Free Will? NYT Review of Book by Sam Harris
- NYT article: “Compassion Made Easy”, by David de Steno